Oct 19 2014

Halloween Dangers For Pets

6 Halloween dangers for pets

Ghosts, goblins, and … raisins? There’s a lot for your veterinary patients to fear during America’s spookiest holiday.

Chocolate

veterinary_halloween_choc
Why it’s dangerous: Chocolate is more poisonous to pets than any other candy. Chocolate contains methylxanthines, chemicals similar to caffeine that can quickly sicken dogs. In general, the darker the chocolate, the more poisonous it is.

What to watch for: Symptoms in dogs that have ingested chocolate include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy or agitation, increased thirst, an elevated heart rate, and, in severe cases, seizures.

Candy wrappers

veterinary_candy_corn
Why they’re dangerous: The candy itself isn’t the only threat. Ingestion of foil and cellophane wrappers can cause life-threatening bowel obstructions, which often require surgical intervention.

What to watch for: Symptoms in pets that have ingested candy wrappers include vomiting, decreased appetite, not defecating, straining to defecate, or lethargy.

Raisins

veterinary_raisins
Why they’re dangerous: While good-intentioned neighbors may hand out raisins as a healthy alternative to candy, very small amounts of raisins (or grapes) can cause kidney failure in dogs and cats. Some dogs develop idiosyncratic reactions at any dose in other words, ingesting any amount can cause serious damage.

What to watch for: Pets that have ingested raisins may show signs like vomiting, nausea, decreased appetite, abdominal pain, and severe kidney failure.

Glow sticks and jewelry

veterinary_glow_stick
Why they’re dangerous: Pets love to chew on things they’re not supposed to, and cats in particular seem to love these items. Over the past year, 70 percent of Pet Poison Hotline’s calls relating to glow sticks and jewelry involved cats. In addition to the choking hazard, the contents of glow sticks can cause pain and irritation in the mouth.

What to watch for: Keep an eye out for mouth pain, as well as profuse drooling and foaming at the mouth.

Costumes

veterinary_pet_costume
Why they’re dangerous: Your clients may love the costume, but does their pet? Some costumes can cause discomfort in pets, and any metallic beads, snaps, or other small pieces (particularly those made of zinc or lead) can result in serious poisoning if ingested. Finally, don’t ever dye or apply coloring to a pet’s fur, even if the dye is labeled non-toxic to humans.

What to watch for: If clients dress their pets in costumes, teach them to make sure it doesn’t impair the pets vision, movement, or air intake.

Lifelearn Admin | Uncategorized

Comments are closed.



Location Hours
Monday7:30am – 6:00pm
Tuesday7:30am – 6:00pm
Wednesday7:30am – 6:00pm
Thursday7:30am – 6:00pm
Friday7:30am – 6:00pm
Saturday8:00am – 12:00pm
Sunday5:00pm – 6:00pm

Sunday hours for boarding services only.